One of the clearest facts of the 7on7 Game for anyone who has ever played is this-It’s a High-powered, High-Scoring Offensive Game…all the time!
And while defense is of course an integral part of the game- indeed a stout “D” can win games for you– a powerful Offense with the ability to score consistently is an absolute ‘Must’. But when working on their offensive consistency, occasionally offenses can neglect the enormously valuable weapon that is the ability to move the ball and score quickly! This is where a well-disciplined, well-organized and aggressive No-Huddle/Hurry-Up offensive strategy- coupled with a determined amount of productive time spent on the practice field– can make the difference between a ‘W’ or an ‘L’. And the ‘No-Huddle’ isn’t just- and shouldn’t be– a two-minute drill strategy, or saved to go for a desperation drive when your team really needs one.
Let’s take a look at just a few of the overall benefits of an effective No-Huddle Offense
- It Fosters Offensive Team Unity and Focus– Nothing brings the Offensive unit together as a whole better than when every Player is laser-focused on their part of the No-Huddle, because they have to be! An effectively practiced and played No-Huddle ‘O’ eliminates the dead time from whistle-to-huddle-to-snap that sometimes causes certain Players to start ‘overthinking’ or drift off into complacency if/when they know the play isn’t called ‘for them’ and so they begin to unconsciously lag. The ‘Hurry-Up’ insures that all 7 Players are locked in tight and ready to make the play that they need to make when their time comes…because that time is coming up FAST!
- It’s a Confidence Booster for the Entire Unit– Along with the above, a successfully practiced and executed No-Huddle ‘O’ raises the confidence level of the entire unit. When everyone is working hard, moving fast, hustling in unison and on the hard march to the End Zone, you can feel the team energy and their confidence level skyrocket.
- It Can Singlehandedly Disrupt any Defense (at anytime) – Yes, the No-Huddle is not just for after the two-minute warning anymore! Starting off your very first snap in the No-Huddle can really set the defense back on its heels and give your offensive unit a decided advantage right from the jump. And as a weapon for your Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator to keep in his back pocket for any timely use, the No-Huddle can be the offensive wrecking ball that shatters the defense’s strategy and confidence as well as simply and effectively disrupting their ability to get ‘set’ or to substitute.
- It Creates a Clean Flow for your QB (and everyone else)- In 7on7 your QB’s rhythm and timing are critical to your Offensive success. 7on7 is a passing game and your Man needs to get into the flow immediately, and then stay in his rhythm so that he gets comfortable, ‘sees’ the whole field, picks his targets quickly and then delivers strikes. Nothing helps this happen more than the fast action and rapid-fire play of a lightning Hurry-Up ‘O’ flying down the field with your QB finding his targets hungry for the ball and then hustling for the next snap.
- It’s a Momentum Changer- Football in general- and 7on7 in particular- is a game of momentum and few things can shift the crucial ‘Mo’ faster than when your Offense switches to a rapid-fire No-Huddle that knocks the Defense back on its heels and keeps them moving backwards until you SCORE!
The No-Huddle Offense is the all-purpose weapon that your offense must have in its arsenal and it’s a potent weapon you must be prepared to deploy at anytime and any field position if you want to rack up those ‘W’s.
Next time – Five Effective Hurry-Up Strategies